Hope (and Laments) of Growing Up


I think I've hit a milestone in life. I'ts been several years in the making but I think I've arrived....


It's this period of time when you realize your childhood has slipped past your grasp and hid in a corner somewhere-taking your sense of wonder & dreams/plans about "how life could be"  right along with it... and all that's left is monotonous drudgery and the panic that comes with paying taxes, car insurance, college plans, applying for financial aid and realizing the necessity of getting a part time job-Which brings with it job interviews, clinicals in a nursing home, unhappy co-workers/patients, etc... But it has also given me many opportunities to share the gospel and conquer my fears. I'm learning to live less for other human's approval (or even my own approval!) and more for what Christ is calling me to do and how to live as He reveals in his Word.

I know God has put me right where I need to be in life, and I have full confidence in his sovereign control of my circumstances, and I'm learning to be thankful for every step of the way! I am finding out, though, that life is much different than what I imagined as a kid. As time goes on part of me wants to boldly go out and experience adulthood, while another part just wants to go hide in my blanket fort and watch Dragon Tale re-runs!

My final thought is this, as 1 Timothy 1:7 says: "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control" 
...and by God's grace I'm striving to live out this verse everyday-all for His Glory!

Comments

  1. Great writing! I remember having similar struggles at your age....well a bit younger because at 21 Gpa and I were pregnant, with unhappy parents and getting married. So then we HAD to get into adulthood fast.. But one inportant message from me....never be bored or think life is drudgery for too long! Go out in nature and appreciate God's beauty...or notice the people you know who have their own big struggles and be there to help one of them. Doing those things will bring wonder and joy back to you. Every day you are doing something for God. You are touching people and may not even know it. And that is what makes life worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely :) I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you and Grandpa---Being even younger than me, with a child and living out on your own! But even then God was working in your lives <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Allen (Part 2)

1 1/2 Volt Ham...AKA Easter Dinner

Update on Last Summer in Alaska!!