1 1/2 Volt Ham...AKA Easter Dinner
It was the beginning of a typical Sunday morning .... or so we thought....
Everyone woke up and proceeded, quite studiously, with farm chores...milking goats, feeding chickens, checking horses etc... then we drove down to church for a wonderful Easter sermon and tasty potluck breakfast. All was well so far!
We arrived home and anxiously put our Easter dinner in the oven ASAP... Cheesy scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole (special recipe of my great grandmother's---lovingly called "Grandma Betty"s Green Beans") and an expensive honey roasted ham.... Yum! :D
The next couple hours was spent lazing around or doing fun crafty stuff... Lydia glued some rhinestones to her glasses, mom braided her hair, I snuggled with my baby goats and newly hatched baby chicks...
You get the picture :)
I also worked tonight, but my family was so nice and waited for me to get back before eating dinner... (at 8pm I give them credit!)
I walked in to a beautifully decorated dinner table topped with a bouquet of rhododendron flowers from our plants outside. (I'm not sure when it became a good idea to decorate a dinner table with poisonous plants, but it was a sweet gesture from the littles anyway.) Little did we know this was only the beginning of the "fun" surprises to await our lovely Easter dinner tonight.
Dad prayed and then proceeded to unveil the food.... we were all salivating at this point. He took out the scalloped potatoes and put them on the table closest to Christian (because, of course, this was his favorite part of the meal) and took Grandma Betty's Green Beans and placed them in front of the little ones (their favorite) then proceeded to take the ham out of the oven as mom and I were pouring tea for everyone.
Dad pulls the foil off the ham and freezes in mid movement.... at this point mom walks over and says those hallowed words: "Brad... what is that? Is... is THAT a battery?!?!" Their faces turned purple. We all looked at one other, mouths open... unable to take it all in. wait WHAT?..... but how could?..... really? no!... a battery?...um now what?
It turns out a AA battery somehow sneaked its way into our ham pan, along with, upon further examination, a hair tie... wonder how that could have happened!
We soon got back our heads and remembered it could still actually explode and thanked the Lord that it hadn't already and quickly disposed of it. (Thank you Lord for your protection!)
We also realized that our green beans and scalloped potatoes had also been in the oven with the battery juice flavored ham and had also been ruined by the vapors...
Well, we all recited the first part of James 1 and other helpful biblical truths quite reluctantly & with big lower lips.... until our hearts were softened and we could accept the fact that all this wonderful food was totally wasted, but it is all in God's will. Man does not live on bread alone... or in this case: The Gray family does not live on scalloped potatoes, green beans and ham marinated in battery juice, alone....
In the end, my dad was unable to talk for about 25 minutes (no joke) and when he did speak the only thing he could say was that he was "just flummoxed...."
I haven't got up the courage to ask him what it means yet, but I'm thinking its something you say instead of a few bad expletives.
Everyone woke up and proceeded, quite studiously, with farm chores...milking goats, feeding chickens, checking horses etc... then we drove down to church for a wonderful Easter sermon and tasty potluck breakfast. All was well so far!
We arrived home and anxiously put our Easter dinner in the oven ASAP... Cheesy scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole (special recipe of my great grandmother's---lovingly called "Grandma Betty"s Green Beans") and an expensive honey roasted ham.... Yum! :D
The next couple hours was spent lazing around or doing fun crafty stuff... Lydia glued some rhinestones to her glasses, mom braided her hair, I snuggled with my baby goats and newly hatched baby chicks...
You get the picture :)
I also worked tonight, but my family was so nice and waited for me to get back before eating dinner... (at 8pm I give them credit!)
I walked in to a beautifully decorated dinner table topped with a bouquet of rhododendron flowers from our plants outside. (I'm not sure when it became a good idea to decorate a dinner table with poisonous plants, but it was a sweet gesture from the littles anyway.) Little did we know this was only the beginning of the "fun" surprises to await our lovely Easter dinner tonight.
Dad prayed and then proceeded to unveil the food.... we were all salivating at this point. He took out the scalloped potatoes and put them on the table closest to Christian (because, of course, this was his favorite part of the meal) and took Grandma Betty's Green Beans and placed them in front of the little ones (their favorite) then proceeded to take the ham out of the oven as mom and I were pouring tea for everyone.
Dad pulls the foil off the ham and freezes in mid movement.... at this point mom walks over and says those hallowed words: "Brad... what is that? Is... is THAT a battery?!?!" Their faces turned purple. We all looked at one other, mouths open... unable to take it all in. wait WHAT?..... but how could?..... really? no!... a battery?...um now what?
| That hallowed battery.... |
| the ham, battery and........hairband |
We also realized that our green beans and scalloped potatoes had also been in the oven with the battery juice flavored ham and had also been ruined by the vapors...
Well, we all recited the first part of James 1 and other helpful biblical truths quite reluctantly & with big lower lips.... until our hearts were softened and we could accept the fact that all this wonderful food was totally wasted, but it is all in God's will. Man does not live on bread alone... or in this case: The Gray family does not live on scalloped potatoes, green beans and ham marinated in battery juice, alone....
In the end, my dad was unable to talk for about 25 minutes (no joke) and when he did speak the only thing he could say was that he was "just flummoxed...."
I haven't got up the courage to ask him what it means yet, but I'm thinking its something you say instead of a few bad expletives.
| Lydia and J are just "flummoxed" |

What a story, Haley! What an experience! Maybe the GOD part of this is how it changes Elijah into becoming really a good cook who will be ever helpful....truly helpful....In the kitchen!
ReplyDeleteOh, Wow!! This makes me wish I could bring you all a lovely meal. What did you all end up eating?
ReplyDeleteWe actually ended up eating a salad and bunch of fried eggs. :D
ReplyDeleteso terrible. :( so sorry. It is funny today, to me, but I had a full belly. I'm so sorry for you!
ReplyDelete