Poultry business

As some of you know, I've just recently purchased a flock of Partridge Chantecler chickens to start my sustainable poultry business.
However, as the hens are getting closer to laying and the males are starting to fill out, they're gathering a lot of attention from potential customers. I was rather unprepared this morning when we received a visit asking about meat prices/if we were selling.
On top of the fact that I was still in my pajamas, standing in a laundry room filled with the dirty clothes of 8 people, I hadn't actually figured out a price yet! I felt pretty dysfunctional to say in the least!
Well time to "get the ball rolling again..." I've researched other equivalent farms, particularly those certified with the Sustainable Poultry Network, and have come up with ballpark ranges: $4 a chick, no less than $20 per laying hen, eggs $3-$5 per dozen, and meat that's $4-$8 per pound depending on feed/freshness.

So I want to know, what would you be willing to pay?

I seek to meet the following standards as defined by the Sustainable Poultry Network:

CORE VALUES

Unlike most poultry today, which are genetically engineered to grow quickly and raised in unnatural confinement, all the poultry raised on our participating farms, are raised with these values:




1. Standard Bred Poultry

All of our poultry are identified by the APA Standard of Perfection. Genetic lines track back multiple generations and are standard bred.




2. Natural Outdoor Environment

Birds are allowed to behave naturally in outdoor pasture, which is essential to their health and well-being.




3. Local Sustainable Farming

Farming must promote and encourage sustainability; that means that the birds must naturally reproduce and that we are not dependant upon "outside resources" for chicks, poults and eggs. No commercial/industrialized hybrids are permitted.




4. Ongoing Training to Farmers

Farmers are committed to networking with other local farmers and receiving ongoing education, training, coaching and mentoring.




5. Welfare of the Bird

The premise of our welfare standards is that poultry are allowed to behave naturally, ensure social interaction, comfort, and physical and psychological well being. Within our standards we believe that genetics play a very significant role in the welfare of all breeds of poultry; the best welfare for the bird is for them to be standard bred.




6. Proper Health

Ongoing efforts to educate chefs and consumers about the nutritional and flavor benefits of standard bred, heirloom breeds of poultry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Allen (Part 2)

1 1/2 Volt Ham...AKA Easter Dinner

Update on Last Summer in Alaska!!